It is far more convenient to establish a group number that clients can contact instead of manually calling each individual in a particular department. A ring group allows clients to call a single contact number. Both local extensions and auto attendants can dial a ring group.
This recipe guides you through the quick and easy process of configuring ring groups in FortiVoice Enterprise.
A ring group can reach a group of extensions. For example, ring group 301 can ring the sales group at extensions 111, 112, 113, and 114. When a customer calls the sales group, the first available salesperson answers for the group.
Creating a Ring Group
To create a ring group
- Go to Extensions > Groups > Ring Group.
- Select New.
- Enter a descriptive name for the ring group and a number.
- Enable the ring group by selecting the Enabled checkbox.
- Select whether you want all extensions in the group to ring when dialed or if you want individuals to be contacts one at a time.
- Select the available extensions or user groups that you want to include in the ring group and select the right arrow button to move them into the selected field.
- Select New in the External numbers section to add an external phone number to the ring group. For example, you can add the number of a remote employee to an established ring group.
- Select Create.
You can expand the Advanced setting section to configure options such as when to send a call to voicemail and call waiting. You can also edit call handling options, which we will cover in the next section.
Configuring Ring Group Call Handling
Call Handling establishes how the unit will handle each individual call that contacts a specific ring group. For example, a client may call a number and the unit will forward the call to another number depending on the time of day.
To configure the call process in the Ring Group section
- Select the available option in the Call Handling section. It should say “Normal call handling”.
- Select a desire call status tab (No answer, Busy, or Unavailable). Each status can only be used for one call management configuration.
- Select either User defined or System default action in the Call process section. The System default action changes depending on the status section.
- If you select User defined, select New.
- Select a pre-configured schedule for the Schedule section or create your own. For more information on how to create and configure a schedule, see “Scheduling the FortiVoice unit” in the Administrator Guide.
Voicemai: Enter the extension number
Play Announcement: Select the sound file.
Auto Attendant: Select the auto attendant profile or create one. For more information on creating an auto attendant, see “Configuring auto attendants” in the FortiVoice Admin Guide.
Forward: Enter the number to which you want the call forwarded.
- Select Create and then OK.
Latest posts by Mike Mielke (see all)